Friday, April 16, 2010

My book



Soldier X
The last couple of weeks I’ve been reading Solider X by Don Wulffson. My first thoughts when I read this book was that it was very interesting and it made me want to read more. One thing that really made me want to read more is the subject of the book. The back of the book and the prologue explains that “Solider X” is an EX world war 2 veteran but now he’s a school teacher, and all of his students what was it like fighting the Nazi’s, but the very interesting part was that he was a Nazi soldier. So to me this is very interesting cause even though it’s a story yours getting the unusual side of World War 2 form the German side.
I’ve noticed during the story the author likes to use comas and short sentences to show action and emotions with the soldiers and the war. On page 29 when the man on the turret gets shot he does a “death dance” and he says, “… I laughed-ashamed, embarrassed...” When I read this portion of the book I could really see the young boy laughing, but being ashamed about it at the same time. Another good example of where he uses comas to show emotion and expression is when he’s getting shot at on page 30; “Nervous eyes, hooded by helmets, exchanged glances. I held my Mauser tightly.” I really like his type of writing when he’s describing different seems too, it seems like he wants you to be in 3rd person view of visions of the book.
So, so far I’m really enjoying this book straight from the start, and I really looking forward to see what happens in the rest of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment